:: Re: [DNG] devuan-discuss is not use…
Author: Gregory Nowak
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] devuan-discuss is not useful, quite the opposite
On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 01:05:27PM +0100, hellekin wrote:
> The devuan-discuss mailing list was created to harmonize the lists:
> devuan-announce, devuan-discuss, and devuan-dev, and to move away from
> the "Debian is Not GNOME" antagonist pattern.

If you wouldn't have just mentioned "the "Debian is Not GNOME"
antagonist pattern," I would have continued in thinking that dng
stands for "debian next generation", as with lprng, which I rather
like actually.

> Don't you have a problem thinking about Devuan as "Debian without systemd"?

No, not at all. That's what I wanted out of debian 8, and that's what
I was expecting out of devuan 1 when I switched.

> So yes, devuan-discuss is not useful. But contrary to what Jaromil
> said, it was not a 'top-down' approach to create it: if it were,
> everybody on DNG would have been subscribed to devuan-discuss and DNG
> would have been closed and kept for historical reason, which is what
> should happen if we really cared to think about our identity as an
> universal free software operating system.

I don't personally have a problem with such an approach. I for one saw
no reason though to manually unsubscribe from one perfectly fine list
just so I could manually subscribe to another list meant to serve the
same purpose as the first from what I understand.

On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 03:05:38PM -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> A solution might be to:
>
> 1) rename this list if deemed necessary
> 2) route all devuan-discuss emails to dng
>
> This will combine the two lists without requiring users to make any
> changes. If the name change is deemed necessary, the new name can be
> promoted on the website, but the old email addresses will continue to
> work. At worst, existing users may need to update email filters to look
> for a "from address" of new_name@??? instead of dng@???.

That sounds good to me as well.

Greg

--