:: Re: [DNG] devuan-discuss is not use…
Author: Rowland Penny
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] devuan-discuss is not useful, quite the opposite
On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 09:21:29 +0100
Giovanni Rapagnani <tjs434@???> wrote:

> On 06/11/16 17:40, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > On Sun, 6 Nov 2016 17:14:39 +0100, Giovanni wrote in message
> > <5be642ae-c983-3ee3-db68-be1e7657a9e9@???>:

> >> That was an example. The same issue posted here received an answer
> >> after less than 20 minutes,
> >
> > ..that's what we call Stupid Luck. The next step is "when"
> > 170 million voters write in Bernie Sanders for POTUŜ and Jill
> > Stein for VP on Tuesday...
>
> Consider it Stupid Luck if you want.
>
> For the period between 2 May 2016 and 31 October 2016, the numbers
> (roughly) are:
>
> - on DNG ML: 145 different email addresses from 22 different time
> zones have posted 3800 emails with an average of 633 emails/month
>
> Among the 3800 emails, 258 emails were sent between Saturday 21:00
> and Sunday 14:00 (local time of the sender), i.e 7% of emails were
> sent during 10% of hours you can count in a week.
>
> - on devuan-discuss: 21 different email addresses from 11 different
> time zones have posted 58 emails with an average of 8 emails/month, 4
> emails were sent between Saturday 21:00 and Sunday 14:00 (local time
> of the sender)
>
> So, that was probably luck, but the chances to get a better answer
> and get it sooner are higher on DNG than devuan-discuss. The
> information given on the community page of the website should reflect
> that fact, and not erroneously tell people to subscribe to a ML where
> there is almost no activity.
>
> If you are interested about the stats for DNG ML since 3 December
> 2014, see below.
>
>           |               | different email
>    month  | emails posted | addresses (i.e senders)
> Dec 2014 |    772        |    121
> Jan 2015 |    244        |    61
> Feb 2015 |    867        |    96
> Mar 2015 |    655        |    91
> Apr 2015 |    498        |    83
> May 2015 |    442        |    76
> Jun 2015 |    470        |    81
> Jul 2015 |    679        |    93
> Aug 2015 |    830        |    85
> Sep 2015 |    564        |    62
> Oct 2015 |    323        |    61
> Nov 2015 |    498        |    83
> Dec 2015 |    786        |    88
> Jan 2016 |    949        |    94
> Feb 2016 |    689        |    82
> Mar 2016 |    489        |    66
> Apr 2016 |    707        |    81
> May 2016 |    1036       |    90
> Jun 2016 |    873        |    74
> Jul 2016 |    889        |    69
> Aug 2016 |    702        |    65
> Sep 2016 |    135        |    44
> Oct 2016 |    165        |    46

> For devuan-discuss, since 2 May 2016:
>
>           |               | different email
>    month  | emails posted | addresses (i.e senders)
> May 2016 |    21         |    9
> Jun 2016 |    6          |    5
> Jul 2016 |    5          |    4
> Aug 2016 |    2          |    2
> Sep 2016 |    8          |    4
> Oct 2016 |    10         |    5

> Giovanni

I think what the OP is trying to get at is, you have more chance of
getting an answer on this list. The big telling point for me is the
number of posts for August 2016, this list had 700 more posts than the
other list, which only had 2.
There is no point in directing new users to a list where they are
unlikely to get an answer.

Rowland