:: Re: [DNG] devuan-discuss is not use…
Author: Giovanni Rapagnani
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] devuan-discuss is not useful, quite the opposite
On 06/11/16 17:40, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Nov 2016 17:14:39 +0100, Giovanni wrote in message
> <5be642ae-c983-3ee3-db68-be1e7657a9e9@???>:

>>> Sorry, but I don't get your point. The request you are talking about
>>> was posted to devuan-discuss after 21:00 (CEST) on Saturday 5th
>>> November. It is now Sunday 6th November, 14:16 CEST, so 17 long
>>> (weekend) hours have passed since that email appeared on
>>> devuan-discuss. Believe it or not, people might actually have
>>> something better (or simply different) to do during the week-end
>>> than waiting in front of their email client to address problems
>>> found by other users.
>>
>> That was an example. The same issue posted here received an answer
>> after less than 20 minutes,
>
> ..that's what we call Stupid Luck. The next step is "when"
> 170 million voters write in Bernie Sanders for POTUŜ and Jill
> Stein for VP on Tuesday...

Consider it Stupid Luck if you want.

For the period between 2 May 2016 and 31 October 2016, the numbers
(roughly) are:

- on DNG ML: 145 different email addresses from 22 different time zones
have posted 3800 emails with an average of 633 emails/month

Among the 3800 emails, 258 emails were sent between Saturday 21:00 and
Sunday 14:00 (local time of the sender), i.e 7% of emails were sent
during 10% of hours you can count in a week.

- on devuan-discuss: 21 different email addresses from 11 different time
zones have posted 58 emails with an average of 8 emails/month, 4 emails
were sent between Saturday 21:00 and Sunday 14:00 (local time of the sender)

So, that was probably luck, but the chances to get a better answer and
get it sooner are higher on DNG than devuan-discuss. The information
given on the community page of the website should reflect that fact, and
not erroneously tell people to subscribe to a ML where there is almost
no activity.

If you are interested about the stats for DNG ML since 3 December 2014,
see below.

          |               | different email
   month  | emails posted | addresses (i.e senders)
Dec 2014 |    772        |    121
Jan 2015 |    244        |    61
Feb 2015 |    867        |    96
Mar 2015 |    655        |    91
Apr 2015 |    498        |    83
May 2015 |    442        |    76
Jun 2015 |    470        |    81
Jul 2015 |    679        |    93
Aug 2015 |    830        |    85
Sep 2015 |    564        |    62
Oct 2015 |    323        |    61
Nov 2015 |    498        |    83
Dec 2015 |    786        |    88
Jan 2016 |    949        |    94
Feb 2016 |    689        |    82
Mar 2016 |    489        |    66
Apr 2016 |    707        |    81
May 2016 |    1036       |    90
Jun 2016 |    873        |    74
Jul 2016 |    889        |    69
Aug 2016 |    702        |    65
Sep 2016 |    135        |    44
Oct 2016 |    165        |    46

For devuan-discuss, since 2 May 2016:

          |               | different email
   month  | emails posted | addresses (i.e senders)
May 2016 |    21         |    9
Jun 2016 |    6          |    5
Jul 2016 |    5          |    4
Aug 2016 |    2          |    2