:: Re: [DNG] Why Debian 8 Pinning is (…
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Why Debian 8 Pinning is (or isn't) pointless
Quoting Jaromil (jaromil@???):

> dear Rick I did not expect you to use 'shutdown -h now'!
> the real old school thing is 'init 0' (or 'init 6' for reboot) :^)

Techically, I believe that's supposed to be 'telinit'. ;->

[init system coupling General Resolution:]

> I believe this is the best accurate representation
> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=120652&p=576562#p576502

I will read that and consider it when I have some free time. At the
moment, I've been able to only skim it.

Here is what I threw together on the SVLUG list (IIRC) yesterday when
Steve Litt posted rather conspiratorial views on the matter:

I cannot match [Steve's] description with the historical record at
https://www.debian.org/vote/ . I see one General Resolution (entitled
'init system coupling') with a number of proposed amendments (four) that
ended up being chosen among via ranked-choice alternative (Condorcet)
voting. The winning alternative amendment (#4) was one that turned the GR
text into a statement that circumstances did not actually require a
General Resolution at all. That having carried, then the electorate
approved that statement via vote.

That does not equate to what [Steve] said. It equates to 'We, a majority of
the voting members, don't think we need to vote on this today.'

Try to use electoral gamesmanship to strongarm developers in that method
was seen, IMO, as Ian Jackson pulling a 'let's you and him fight' move,
and the developers resenting him trying that and said 'no, go away'.

But I'll read the referenced forums.debian.net material when I have a chance.

[http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Licensing_and_Law/forking.html:]

> thanks for this, I did not knew it back then and is a fascinating
> read. I believe there is only one thing that you omit in your general
> consideration on the faith of forks: that there is also a
> *sovereignty* aspect to them.

The unnamed firm that I had then just resigned from when I wrote that
essay, having been chief system administrator until that moment, was
Linuxcare, Inc. of San Francisco. Given the litigation that surrounded
the collapse of that firm, I preferred at the time to elide the firm's
name, and keep my distance.

At this point, Jaromil and other good people, I'm rather out of time,
and must prepare to fly to Boston for a while. Talk to people later!