:: Re: [unSYSTEM] The day the Hacker C…
Author: Cristina [efecto99]
To: unsystem
Subject: Re: [unSYSTEM] The day the Hacker Community Died
Thank you very much Jaromil for your intervention, you took the words I
coudn't say, but i will copy here some tweets i published days ago in
reference at what you pointed out: [0]
- the idealization of "our community"is the 1st barrier we need to
target: "our community" isn't from outer space, isn't different from the
rest
- We aren't more special than others, we -at least I don't consider
myself- aren't an ethical elite: as long as we think we are, this will
continue
-TODOS somos especiales, pero creer que por proclamar ciertos valores,
se los ha "hecho carne" es otro asunto. +conocimiento != +nobleza
(something like: "All we are special, but to believe that proclaiming
certain values made them belonging to ourselves, is different, more
knowledge is not equal to more nobility)

A guy told me: "Creo que ese problema pasa en muchos otros sitios, no
sólo entre la gente de privacidad y seguridad."
(I believe that issue happens in a lot of places, not only with the
security and privacy people)

Me: Por eso mismo! ¿qué ese discurso de "nosotros que somos una noble y
great community" vamos a arreglar esto porque somos diferentes? wtf
(Exactly that: what is that discourse about " we are a noble and great
community" and then we will fix this because we are different?)

[0]starting with this one
https://twitter.com/efect_99/status/743219400694710272

On 17/06/16 07:37, Jaromil wrote:
> dears,
>
> I refrain from all instances on this discussion, as I think there are
> people that are way more affected and involved that need to speak out,
> that have untold things to say, that have more elements to say wise
> things. however I will just share with you my naive generic reflection
> here, from my own lucky position of coding away every day of my life
> and still having the privilege of loving relationships all around me
> from people who are not all the time about what I'm doing in a screen
> (and that's why I do not go to every single hacker event that comes by
> all the time, or invest all my private life into this scene)

I do not go to every hacker event that comes either: I have no the time
nor the money. I don't live from the security or IT field, and I need to
work. I have a very active activity on other places which are not these
ones, but since i participate on collectives (AFK and virtually), I talk
about these topics, i attend to some meeting about mesh networks on my
community, i did experimented 1st, discrimination, 2nd, sexual
intimidation (because as we all know: NO is NO, but some men see a girl
on places they think they own, and assume you are there "looking for a
man" -dixit- ).
Then is not only something than affect the people who invest their
private life on the Cons scenes: when you are a woman, something as
simply as wanting to participate on an activity in your closer
hackerspace become "an adventure", and not on a pleasure-connotation.

> On Fri, 17 Jun 2016, Caleb James DeLisle wrote:
>
>> To everyone: I know there has been a systematic coverup but I don't
>> have the information of what was said and by whom. What I would like
>> more than anything is to be able to show that Jake was not a "lone
>> wolf" so that the community can finally face the mess it has become.
> Yes. I believe you are right and also Cristina.
>
> I also believe Jake is playing a perfect scape goat role in this.
>
> and I invite you to not fall in this trap. its not one bad
> apple. actually, he may be not bad at all as far as my limited but age
> long knowledge of him goes. believe me: I'd certainly have had no
> problems in speaking out if I'd knew anything like that. But then I'm
> also stupid enough to not understand everything now.

I do believe noble and care people exist! i don't think you are stupid.
Some of our colleagues are too naive,
but which is your attitude if you learn about someone being harass by
other member of our community? I know personally that you are a
gentleman, because at the Camp you heard my history, you were kind, you
never said things like "Is hard for me to believe what you say" or
"Well, forget about it and go on". I know and I thank you that, as a
victim myself of this kind of reproachable behaviors, you are part of
the brave people, specially being a man, that don't turn your eyes back
from the problem.

> What I know is that we are not living on a different planet as all the
> rest of the world. the world at large is full of prevarications, of
> arrogance, of power games against sensitive people and against the
> strong agents of change like for instance Assange. meanwhile it seems
> that to be a "winner" one must be first at all times, making your way
> forward with elbows in the ribs of others, to conquer all attention,
> to be a rockstar at all costs. many fall victim to this deception,
> that we are not here to listen to each other, but to "finally speak
> the truth".
>
> this is not just about sexuality. for sure the history of the feminist
> movement has a lot to teach us on these regards. We are living in this
> world and there is no society that can be exempt from these
> dynamics. we are all involved, in different degrees, everyone
> is. Noone is pure.

is what i said at the top of this email: thank you. You got the core of
the problem.

> therefore I don't believe the hacker societies at large are to be
> deemed as a particular snakepit. Is the world we live in, that is full
> of different poisons. Now we are better only if we manage to talk
> about this without aggressing further each other. The journey is long
> and just like for every other society is a steep road to freedom, self
> determination and respect

I apologize because I couldn't be very polite on my 1st email on this
tread. Is only that I keep listening histories like these since a
decade... but I know I need to be comprehensive with people than where
on their own home, coding and not having too much relation with others,
and ignore what happens outside. I though this place is a good place to
express my concerns about this.
And I want to say is not a "men problem": women are part of this too, as
was demonstrated once they decided to speak out. Women who silence are
part of the problem, women who stand up are part of the solution: we are
not indifferent on this.
And we need as a community to abandon the so called "drama stigma": If
someone have a problem, and its not technical, is not "drama". If you
think machines are more important than people's feelings or people's
integrity, you need to work alone... not as part of a human collective.

> And power corrupts, in any case. there was never a time in which so
> much power was in the hands of hackers. it is actually a decaying
> power, as most of it is being consumed in the act of representation,
> rathern than making. that's decadence. so we are in a dangerous zone
> of our history and we better cultivate our spirit, our diversity, keep
> improving, keep listening. And avoid seeing a conspiracy just
> everywhere, consider what is the role of mere individuals and that of
> collectives. help each other understand mistakes, learn to heal each
> other and be humble.
>
> we have the same vulnerabilities as any other society. we may be
> good enough to fix some and be able to share what we learn from such a
> process. And finally, it takes no heroes to do that.
>
> in solidarity

<3

Cristina (99)