:: Re: [DNG] Artistic decisions - keyb…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Noel Torres
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Artistic decisions - keyboard mappings
Joel Roth <joelz@???> escribió:
> 1) CAPSLOCK key under console and X, should be mapped to Control
>
>    This mapping is compatible with most server
>    administrators preferences, prevents capslock-related mode
>    problems in vim.

>    If this default leads to angry bug reports, at least they will not be sent
>    in all caps ;-)

Please, no. I'm a server administrator, and I like to know that the
keys do what they are suppossed to do. In Caps Lock case, to lock
capitals on. I do not know who are those "most server administrators",
but when I need a Control key, I use a Control key. AND it is against
the "least surprise" priciple.

> 2) Terminate X via Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
>
>    Seems like an easy, useful, historic way to kill a malfunctioning X.

Absolutely yes.

> 3) Disable Print key
>
>    All my uses have been unintentional. Does anyone use it deliberately?

Again, please no. The key should do whatever it is intended to do,
whatever it is. If and when somebody uses it, it must work. In X, it
can be mapped to some screenshot program. (And again, "least surprise")

> My other wishlist items are:
>
> 4) No display manager by default
>
>    I think the community shouldn't coocoon naive users from
>    the console. The passing familiarity with the terminal
>    that comes with Learning to type username, password, startx
>    and Ctrl-Alt-Backspace (to terminate X) will help the user
>    if and when they ever have trouble with X.

>    That X works so well most of the time, and without manual
>    configuration is a credit to xorg maintainers.

>    Terminating X, and returning to the console would be
>    useful, for example, when fiddling with proprietary video
>    drivers.

Devuan is about choice. Let our users decide if they want X server
started by default or not.

Regards

Noel
er Envite