:: Re: [DNG] Artistic decisions - keyb…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Jaromil
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Artistic decisions - keyboard mappings
On Thu, 19 May 2016, Stephanie Daugherty wrote:

>    On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 8:13 PM Joel Roth <[1]joelz@???> wrote:
>      1) CAPSLOCK key under console and X, should be mapped to Control

>    Capslock and control may be on dumb places on most modern keyboards, but
>    above almost everything else, computers should do what the user expects.
>    The key has caps lock printed on it, it should be a caps lock key unless
>    the user takes action of their own accord to change that.

+1 - and I do switch caps with ctrl because of using
Emacs. nevertheless, what Stephanie says here should be set in stone
and perhaps be part of some sort of Devuan's developers guidelines.

>      2) Terminate X via Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

>         Seems like an easy, useful, historic way to kill a malfunctioning X.

>    Strongly agree here. This was a useful function, and the decision to
>    disable this by default was shortsighted. There were security arguments
>    for disabling it - but for the most part, those arguments were about edge
>    cases like kiosks and shared workstations.

+100 - this was an horrible change of default introduced in Xorg configuration

>      3) Disable Print key

>         All my uses have been unintentional. Does anyone use it deliberately

>    I personally have it set to launch a screenshot tool and have found that
>    to be a common configuration in a lot of desktop environments.

same here

>    On the subject of people that get thrown into the console for the first
>    time when something breaks, there's a lot of room to improve here. What
>    I'd like to see is something reasonably consistent with the curses
>    installer that provides a limited degree of handholding. Rather than throw
>    people into this automatically, it should be advertised in the default
>    MOTD, and it should have fallback to a simple set of prompts in case
>    someone's using a broken terminal. The audiences for this are both
>    complete newcomers, who know absolutely nothing beyond what little the
>    /etc/issue and /etc/motd are telling them, as well as the experienced
>    sysadmin who finds themselves on a system where basic facilities like
>    networking are down, and needs to restore those easily.

now this gets interesting, you are envisioning a very, very useful
introductory tool and detailing its core functionalities. this is
outstanding in my eyes as the specification for a new, simple software
package someone here may want to work on. It may be done as a simple
shell script using dialog, popup on first start of a terminal with a
simple thicker to switch off.

and maybe such a tool can be a good addition to the
devuan-live-minimal by Katolaz.

>    - Network configuration wizard to temporarily set up Internet access,
>    including bringing up a connection to a WPA2 wireless network, or
>    autoconfiguring a network interface via DHCP.
>    - Disk mounting wizard to easily and temporarily mount thumb drives.
>    - Diagnostic wizard to view hardware details, diagnostics, and logs and to
>    copy to a mounted thumb drive to look at from another, more functioning
>    system
>    - Access to a friendly package manager that automatically discovers
>    packages on a mounted thumb drive. (this is for users that end up in this
>    position because of needing packages to make the network work)
>    - Tools to troubleshoot the display manager.
>    - Backrup & Restore utilities
>    - Easy access to tutorials and documentation.on the local system, and
>    internet.
>    - Easy access to appropriate new-user IRC channels.
>    - A split screen environment, where documentation can be easily browsed on
>    half the screen, and a terminal is available on the other half.

the best docs I know to introduce to CLI are there
http://en.flossmanuals.net/command-line/

they were also translated to spanish:
https://web.archive.org/web/20111225010153/http://translate.flossmanuals.net/CommandLineIntro_es
(only available on archive org, so worthed a place in everyone's backup)

ciao