:: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
Author: KatolaZ
To: Joel Roth
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 10:15:44PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:

[cut]

> The problem with supporting multiple init systems is that
> there is an init script for each service that has to be
> ported or rewritten.
>
> Launching Devuan while maintaining the sysvinit status quo
> has already stressed the pool of volunteer manpower to the
> limit.
>
> So the practical way forward is to leave the task of
> developing init scripts for the alternative init systems
> to the users of those systems.

+1

The ideal thing would be for Devuan to be able, in the long run, to
seamlessly support different init systems + supervisors, so that the
user might be able to choose among them during installation, or even
to switch betweem them after the install.

However, that would be a massive effort, as we have seen that staying
with sysvinit is already quite complex, so that in practice we might
be better off supporting just one of them atm (sysvinit), and adding
more meat as long as the energy put in the project will allow it.

[cut]

> For those with time to invest, I would suggest the
> following:
>
> * determine a subset, those esssential services that, if supported,
> would allow a user to get a usable base system:
>
> * choose one or two best-of-breed init systems to work on,
> and provide infrastructure for collecting contributions
> for *all* init systems, even less popular ones.

That's a wise suggestion, indeed.

Primo Devuan Stabilis Creanda Est

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]