:: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
Author: Jaromil
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
On Mon, 02 May 2016, Boruch Baum wrote:

> Instead of an openRC effort at this point, I'd rather see a hook
> for apt-get / aptitude / etc, to move all files specific to init
> systems not being used to their own file hierarchies, eg.
>
>   /var/cache/init-systems
>     /sysvinit
>       /etc
>       /lib
>       /usr
>     /openrc
>       /etc
>       /lib
>       /usr
>     /systemd
>       /etc
>       /lib
>       /usr

> With something like this, devuan could remain true to init-system
> freedom, keep cruft out of the way, and make it easy for
> sysadmins to switch amongst init systems.
>
> The idea could be developed further, to use debian's proven
> 'update-alternatives' method for switching amongst init-systems.

This is an important suggestion, which parazyd himself was evaluating
yesterday, noting that among the errors made in the previous openrc
packages was this one: put the files of each init system in the same
/etc/init.d directory, basically making them overlap.

I agree we should adopt the policy you are proposing in Devuan.