:: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
Author: Jaromil
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan

to all, very important, perhaps to be set on the homepage:

On Tue, 03 May 2016, poitr pogo wrote:

> I vote for init to be default for at least few years.
> Devuan might consider switching to something else few years after
> wheezy lts will be dead.
>
> Meantime, all other init systems should be optional in Devuan.

this is what is going to happen and $years is a variable between
releases. Our release cycle is clear: packages get in unstable
(Ceres), then in testing (Ascii) which will have them in once
released. The openrc package proposed is not taking any shortcut.
So people willing to help maintaining it should run Ceres.
People willing to use it as soon as its ready: Ascii.

We have no interest in changing the default sysvinit, but we have
interest in having other init options working, especially considering
in Debian they have made a dog's breakfast of them. Therefore we can
expect Ascii to have more options ready for use and possibly not even
overlapping between one and another.

I'm not sure update-alternatives is the best way to make them
co-exist. I suspect we can simply leave them coexist in different
directories and at full stop on install. The re-making of the openrc
package should be a good testing ground for more generic solutions.

ciao