:: Re: [DNG] Printing -- now even pdf …
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Printing -- now even pdf works. I have no idea why.
On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 09:20:11PM +0200, Jaromil wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2016, Noel Torres wrote:
>
> > Just curious...
> >
> > Why not using CUPS ?
> >
> > I've been using it since times' night with no issues.
>
> I use CUPS and i'm intrigued by the thread.
>
> I have two printers, one at home and one in the office.
>
> After I switched to Devuan for all my personal computers, something
> strange happened to me and I'm still not sure it is related to
> Devuan. Believe me when I say I did look deeply into this, but still
> did not manage to get the art of troubleshooting to enligthen my path.
>
> The printer at home worked fine for years, then had some red light
> blinking crisis, believing its toner was over, but it wasn't in fact,
> no actual sign of it on the printed result. Nevertheless, I did change
> the toner. Since the red blinking started and even after the change of
> the toner (which stopped the red blinking) CUPS stopped being capable
> of printing to it.
>
> OTOH the printer at the office has never stopped working, before my
> switch to Devuan and up to now.
>
> I'm completely puzzled by this problem to the point I imagine I know
> how RMS felt like when he started the GNU project. Believe me or not,
> since this happened and as of today I do go to my office to print out
> things, or ask my partner for help. And I'm not a consumer-minded
> person so I refuse to buy a new printer.
>
> So I'm reading all this thread with interest as its not making me feel
> alone lost on this puzzle.
>
> I don't believe this is really related to Devuan: following the work
> of Didier on the package
> https://git.devuan.org/devuan-packages/cups/commits/debian/jessie the
> time his commits were made do not coincide at all with the times the
> events on my side occurred.

Wasn't there a time when CUPS was suspected of havin a systemd connexion?
If not, it was suspected of being as obscure and opaque as systemd.
It, with foomatic, appears to install a database of zillions of
drivers, which I would have to install to get the oonly one I really need.
It feels like overkill.

lpr seems to be the traditional Unix way of doing things, without CUPS.

It might have been easier if I had found the documentation earlier.

-- hendrik