:: Re: [DNG] Fw: Beginning of the End …
Author: Daniel Reurich
To: Steve Litt, dng
CC: Patrick Bartek
Subject: Re: [DNG] Fw: Beginning of the End for Wheezy [sigh!]
Hi,

I'm using Devuan both personally for devuan development and on some
production systems. Sadly there is nothing particularly notable about
running it on production systems. It just works.

I'm currently completing the deployment of a server running kvm with
libvirt and managing it via virt manager - it works well enough for
small setups like this. On this server I'm running 3 Devuan guests and
a Windows 7 desktop. The linux guests are for: Firewall, Samba Active
Directory Domain controller, and Samba Domain Member File Server.
Setting these up in Devuan was pretty trivial - again nothing notable
compared to Debian Wheezy - except newer versions of the software. It
just works as expected - and no sign of systemd or libsystemd packages
installed on any of those servers.

With regards to the Devuan development side of things I have been very
heavily involved in it and have done a sizeable amount of the
repackaging as well as working closely with others on the devuans
package build infrastructure and deployment side of things. Devuan is
not all there for the Desktop yet - but it's good enough for daily use
with XFCE.

I'm biased of course because I have invested a huge amount of my time in
the last year or so in working on Devuan, and when I come across issues
or packages depending on systemd I have the knowledge to be able to fix
them for the benefit for all.

Devuan is in my opinion a trustworthy upgrade, and if you need a package
repackaged for devuan without systemd, then I'm happy to help. If you
need it urgently then I can be contracted to do that for you.

Personally I'd rather use Devuan then Debian for Jessie in both
production server setups as well as desktop usage.

regards,
    Daniel.