:: Re: [DNG] Accessibility: Does the d…
Author: Gregory Nowak
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Accessibility: Does the devuan installer default to ALSA?
On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 08:53:06AM +1300, Daniel Reurich wrote:
> On 08/03/16 06:45, Joel Roth wrote:
> > Hi Devuan,
> >
> > I'm following the blinux mailing list, for blind users of
> > Linux, and there is a report of someone having trouble with
> > pulse audio. So that leads me to ask, will devuan default to
> > ALSA in the installer and base installation? I'm also
> > curious if ALSA is sufficient for the various screen readers
> > and other accessbility software people are using.

Alsa by itself is great for espeakup/espeak. I believe that gnome3 in
debian 8 uses speech-dispatcher which seems to in turn use
pulseaudio by default, though this can be changed to alsa in
/etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf. Things seem to work fine after
making that change and purging pulse, though I haven't tested things
in this configuration extensively. I don't know about xfce/mate under
devuan, though installing mate on my devuan box is on my to-do list. I
would be surprised if I couldn't get rid of pulse there either.

> If pulseaudio is installed, it uses Alsa. Currently we haven't excised
> pulseaudio (yet), but there is a possibility we may look to either doing
> that or at least maintaining a coherent option for using alsa instead.

That gets a huge yes vote from me!

> With regards to whether the accessibility software (or any audio
> producing or consuming software for that matter) uses alsa is largely a
> matter of whether that support is compiled in by default these days.

I concur.

Greg