:: Re: [DNG] Is Devuan Jessie secure e…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Is Devuan Jessie secure enough?
On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 09:53:51AM +1300, Daniel Reurich wrote:
> On 08/03/16 06:09, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As I am slowly converting my installation into Devuan, I would like to
> > ask what others use to access their bank accounts, to pay bills only
> > and other money related activities.
>
> I use iceweasel - on my wheezy laptop currently (but that's only because
> it's a pain to change and losing NetworkManager will hurt because it
> made vpn's easy and we don't have any easy systemd free replacement for
> that yet).
> >
> > Until now I have used Debian Wheezy. Is DEVUAN secure enough for
> > financial transactions? If Devuan has adequate security I can start
> > using it to pay my bills online and to make my occasional purchase
> > online.
>
> Your biggest security risk is the web browser, and given that systemd
> security risks/protections are relatively unknown I'd suggest that
> Devuan Jessie is a much more known quantity and secure then Debian
> Jessie, and very much on par if not better then Debian Wheezy.

I'm using Devuan Jessie on my laptop, currently doing web stuff with
Iceweasel. Yes, even online banking.

I used to use chrome, but Google dropped support for chrome on my
machine, since its a 32-bit Intel system.

Anyone know how to tell roxterm not to use chrome as its default
browser? I've told xfce, and it's now calling firefox, but roxterm
still thinks that when I mouse onto a URL and click "open in browser"
that I soud use chrome.

I'd like to try Midori, but it lacks a few features I use extensively
when browsing my own file system -- such as sorting directories
alphabetcally, so it's easier to find files in the list, instead of
randomly.

-- hendrik