:: Re: [DNG] Accessibility: Does the d…
Author: Joel Roth
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Accessibility: Does the devuan installer default to ALSA?
Gregory Nowak wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 08:53:06AM +1300, Daniel Reurich wrote:
> > On 08/03/16 06:45, Joel Roth wrote:
> > > Hi Devuan,
> > >
> > > I'm following the blinux mailing list, for blind users of
> > > Linux, and there is a report of someone having trouble with
> > > pulse audio. So that leads me to ask, will devuan default to
> > > ALSA in the installer and base installation? I'm also
> > > curious if ALSA is sufficient for the various screen readers
> > > and other accessbility software people are using.
>
> Alsa by itself is great for espeakup/espeak. I believe that gnome3 in
> debian 8 uses speech-dispatcher which seems to in turn use
> pulseaudio by default, though this can be changed to alsa in
> /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf. Things seem to work fine after
> making that change and purging pulse, though I haven't tested things
> in this configuration extensively. I don't know about xfce/mate under
> devuan, though installing mate on my devuan box is on my to-do list. I
> would be surprised if I couldn't get rid of pulse there either.

> > If pulseaudio is installed, it uses Alsa. Currently we haven't excised
> > pulseaudio (yet), but there is a possibility we may look to either doing
> > that or at least maintaining a coherent option for using alsa instead.
>
> That gets a huge yes vote from me!

I agree. As we are supporting choice of init subsystems, it
is nice with audio, too, if we can offer users a base system
that does not force a commitment to a layer above ALSA (PA) that
grabs exclusive use of the audio device.

I believe there are some clever configuration where PA gets
only a virtual audio device for handling desktoppy things,
leaving, ALSA and friends still accessible. Not sure
whether that could be supported as a choice among several
system audio profiles; it would be a secondary goal.

> > With regards to whether the accessibility software (or any audio
> > producing or consuming software for that matter) uses alsa is largely a
> > matter of whether that support is compiled in by default these days.

That's good to hear. So supporting accessibility during
install may be in reach.

cheers,

Joel