:: Re: [DNG] X forwarding over SSH ove…
Author: Lars Noodén
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] X forwarding over SSH over ADSL
On 03/07/2016 08:57 PM, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 06:50:26PM +0000, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
>> That's a non-sequitur: You need more bandwidth than usually available
>> outside of a LAN as soon as you start using "misbehaving applications"
>> (like Firefox or Wireshark) who effectively (by virtue of the toolkit
>> they using) use the X server as "dumb framebuffer manager" they can
>> uploaded pre-rendered bitmaps to. But that's not caused by X but by
>> applications not using it sensibly.
>
> Okay, I never was an emacs user, so my only X11 applications are
> firefox, wireshark, and libreoffie.
>
> Thanks for the clarification.
>
>     Stephan

For Firefox, I'd run it locally and use ssh as a SOCKS5 proxy with the
-D option. That gives remote network access but not files. sshfs would
be needed for file access like with LibreOffice.

For Wireshark, I'd still use ssh, but it's more complicated. I'd run
Wireshark locally and capture the packet data using tcpdump + sudo.
This works with bash but you can use a FIFO instead if portability is
needed:

    wireshark -k -i <( ssh -fq -i ~/.ssh/key_rsa \
            'sudo tcpdump -lqi eth0 -w - "not port 22"' )

Prerequisites are setting up keys (with an agent) and sudo (for just
that command with just those options) both non-interactive. Also, the
tcpdump expression to select packets needs to exclude the traffic to
wireshark. Actually, even locally you can do something like that with
Wireshark minus ssh to avoid running it as root.

For LibreOffice, I'd copy the data locally or use sshfs to mount the
remote account or both.

Regards,
Lars