:: Re: [DNG] X forwarding over SSH ove…
Author: Stephan Seitz
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] X forwarding over SSH over ADSL (Was: Claywand dosplay bananager)
On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 04:57:28PM +0000, Simon Hobson wrote:
>It's a *fact* that I found X via SSH with only 400kbps upstream from the
>far end quite workable as long as there weren't bitmaps involved. For
>text work it was "like being there" for me as I remember - can't check

Äh, why do you need X11 forwarding for text work? For me text work is
shell/vi/mutt/screen. I’m using these programs daily without the need for
X11 forwarding.

But for things like thunderbird or wireshark you’ll need a good network
with low latency or it isn’t fun.

In my experience X11 forwarding is only really working with LAN
connections (and I mean the complete X11 forwarding feature set). Here it
gets ugly really fast.

And as far as I was told things like VNC or RDP are an improvement for
remote desktops and WAN connections. And yes, I did rdp via modem
connections.

Shade and sweet water!

    Stephan

--