:: Re: [DNG] Claywand dosplay bananage…
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Claywand dosplay bananager
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> writes:
> On Sun, Mar 06, 2016 at 10:06:18PM +0000, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
>>
>> ssh -X is basically 'straight X' but with the protocol traffic
>> transparently forwarded over the SSH connection and some convenience
>> features like "setting up a suitable DISPLAY" and
>> "handling MIT magic cookie authentication".
>>
>> For this to work well (for applications where there's any hope that it
>> could work well), the remote system needs to have good upstream
>> bandwidth to "the internet" which will usually not be the case if ADSL
>> is being used. Running dxpc over a ssh-tunneled TCP connection worked
>> satisfactorily for me for this case.
>
> How do I run dxpc over ssh? It seems like something I should try.

I was using a dxssh script,

---------
#!/bin/sh
#

exec ssh -C -L 4000:127.0.0.1:4000 "$@"
---------

4000 is the default dxpc TCP port. The connection sequences (as far as I
remember) was

1. dxssh <remote machine>

2. On remote, dxpc -f

3. Use ~ followed by ^Z to stop the ssh process (~ is the ssh escape
character. It has to be the first character of a new line. If the
first attempt to background ssh doesn't work, press enter and try
again).

4. On local, dxpc -f 127.0.0.1

5. Continue the ssh session with fg.

6. On remote, export DISPLAY=:8 (or DISPLAY=unix:8 according to the
documentation).