:: Re: [DNG] leveldb support proposal
Top Pagina
Auteur: Jaromil
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] leveldb support proposal
On Mon, 29 Feb 2016, poitr pogo wrote:

> On 2/25/16, Rainer Weikusat <rainerweikusat@???> wrote:
> (...)
>
> > Considering that shared objects and dynamic linking were
> > originally a MULTICS feature (dating back to about 1965) and
> > introduced to UNIX(*) with SunOS 4.0 in 1988, the best course of
> > action to deal with people who are so afraid of changes that they
> > keep rejecting "useful new features" for 51/ 28 years in a row is
> > "roundly ignore them". Especially if they claim to be
> > 'modernizers' because the ancient technology they're so wedded to
> > is so seriously ancient that large groups of people meanwhile
> > forgot about that ... ___
>
> Is this some kind of pro systemd propaganda ? :D

I am not the only one to perceive Rainer's contributions as rather
questionable for the conversations here. However, be it propaganda or
not, what is really annoying is that it goes quite far off-topic, by
abstracting a specific issue into a general political consideration of
how history goes.

I think we should be concerned by specific issues rather than such
generic and political debates. I also wish this list calms down on the
general "propaganda wars" and focuses on more concrete matters.

Please take this not as a moderation attempt, rather than an educated
opinion: we would have never got anywhere with Devuan if we would have
indulged so far in such conversations.

This thread is putting forward a specific issue for Devuan and other
readers that may be brewing their own distros.

So, back to it:

I for one am incline to keep libdb4.8 in Devuan and will study the
strategy to make it possible. It won't be really hard for our CI.

Parazyd is a Bitcoin expert working with us in Amsterdam, he has been
in touch with Luke-jr on the issue, who is the author of the miner
software most used around the world (bfgminer). We will follow up in
person on this, as we can easily relate to security concerns he or
Luke-jr may have regarding the distribution of bitcoin software
binaries.

and BTW thanks everyone for the bitcoins donated so far: they are
useful, we have started using them and the next financial report will
have details on that.

ciao