:: Re: [DNG] leveldb support proposal
Top Pagina
Auteur: Rainer Weikusat
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] leveldb support proposal
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> writes:
> Le 29/02/2016 11:19, poitr pogo a écrit :
>> On 2/25/16, Rainer Weikusat <rainerweikusat@???> wrote:
>> (...)
>>> Considering that shared objects and dynamic linking were originally a
>>> MULTICS feature (dating back to about 1965) and introduced to UNIX(*)
>>> with SunOS 4.0 in 1988, the best course of action to deal with people
>>> who are so afraid of changes that they keep rejecting "useful new
>>> features" for 51/ 28 years in a row is "roundly ignore them". Especially
>>> if they claim to be 'modernizers' because the ancient technology they're
>>> so wedded to is so seriously ancient that large groups of people
>>> meanwhile forgot about that ...
>>> ___
>>
>> Is this some kind of pro systemd propaganda ? :D
>>

>     I understand the logic used by Riner as:

>     - the majority is right
>     - an option decided more than 28 years ago shall not be questioned

I consider the arguments in favour of sharing common code in a way that
it can easily be maintained/ replaced/ updated independently of
programs/ applications also using it sensible. Further, this has been a
standard feature of 'UNIX(*) systems' for over two decades. And I
haven't heard anything better against it than the (as old) "but if you
change something, my stuff could break" so far. In particularly,
"bitcoin" hasn't demontrated any unusual problems with creating their
very own security problems. Let these people care for their own
code. They can always implement their own database package in case
they're to scared of one written (and maintained) by somebody else.