:: Re: [DNG] Debian archives (Was:syst…
Author: Brad Campbell
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Debian archives (Was:systemd==bad)
On 23/02/16 16:10, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Brad Campbell <lists2009@???> wrote:
>

>> Interestingly the package files are still all present, so after an
>> apt-get update ; apt-get install foo I just put the package names
>> it can't download into google and they turn up in odd corners of
>> the net.
>
> Yes that's a problem. It would be nice if, instead of just dropping
> everything, they kept a snapshot of the latest versions for that.

It really would make life so much easier, even if it was one server with
no mirrors. They're not exactly going to be high traffic. Back in the
days of 33k modems I used to mirror my own Debian distributions locally
for fast net installs, maybe I need to start doing that again. Storage
is a lot cheaper now!

> Which leads to a question that's been swimming around my head since
> it was mentioned here. Does the LTS repo have a complete snapshot of
> Squeeze (and Wheezy when it's live) as of takeover day, or just
> anything updated ? If they keep the whole lot online then that makes
> building new boxen a lot easier. I was thinking that, without a full
> repo, bringing up a new Wheezy box would be tricky unless the base
> image I already have contained every package I might need in future.

A single source (with an updates repo for security as required) is
always a better option for a new install.

> BTW - I was running updates last week, all the Wheezy systems needed
> a new glibc but all the older ones are older than the DNS bug :-) I
> realised I still have one Etch system running - and that's a system I
> knocked up "as a temporary measure" to replace an ailing mail server
> running on NT4. Some of the systems I updated needed a reboot (new
> kernel), which is a shame as several were either close to or over a
> year of uptime.

I recently rebooted a co-lo that had over 1130 days on it. Locked down
to buggery, no user accessible shells and thus no CVE's that required a
kernel upgrade. Don't fix it if it ain't broken. It does have the fixed
glibc however.

Heck, my WD Mybook had 420 days on it until my mother-in-law plugged her
hair dryer into the UPS power point last week and popped the breaker.