:: Re: [DNG] Debian archives (Was:syst…
Author: Simon Hobson
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] Debian archives (Was:systemd==bad)
Brad Campbell <lists2009@???> wrote:

>> But then I still have Squeeze and Lenny systems running (they aren't broken ...) - don't think I have anything older than that !
>>

> I just bumped up against a problem with a squeeze system. It's ppc, and everyone has dropped the non-x86/x64 archives. That made it hard to install tcpdump to do some investigative work.
>
> Interestingly the package files are still all present, so after an apt-get update ; apt-get install foo I just put the package names it can't download into google and they turn up in odd corners of the net.

Yes that's a problem. It would be nice if, instead of just dropping everything, they kept a snapshot of the latest versions for that.

Which leads to a question that's been swimming around my head since it was mentioned here. Does the LTS repo have a complete snapshot of Squeeze (and Wheezy when it's live) as of takeover day, or just anything updated ? If they keep the whole lot online then that makes building new boxen a lot easier. I was thinking that, without a full repo, bringing up a new Wheezy box would be tricky unless the base image I already have contained every package I might need in future.

BTW - I was running updates last week, all the Wheezy systems needed a new glibc but all the older ones are older than the DNS bug :-) I realised I still have one Etch system running - and that's a system I knocked up "as a temporary measure" to replace an ailing mail server running on NT4. Some of the systems I updated needed a reboot (new kernel), which is a shame as several were either close to or over a year of uptime.