:: Re: [DNG] xserver-xorg-core in Debi…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] xserver-xorg-core in Debian unstable now requires libsystemd0
On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 11:07:42 +0100, richard wrote in message
<20160129110742.d8df6c714fb85bdb6e1973bd@???>:

> > > Ah, I didn't know that. Thnx :)
> >
> > Considering that I wrote that in reply to you and also in reply to
> > the other person who asserted "Don't worry. We just have you best
> > interest in mind!" why was there any uncertainty of the technical
> > purpose of libsystemd?
>
> Now you're suggesting that libsystemd is all CSS. Any programmer can
> have a look at the sources to see if Tobias is right or not.
>
> But anyway, I will not say that you're wrong, I just don't know. But I
> think that all sorts of conspiracy theories will not help us any
> further.
>
> I'm very pleased to see that someone is building a libsystemdfree
> xorg. But what about security updates? And what about future
> versions? Who is going to do that? What about the robustness of
> Devuan? Don't get me wrong, I really like the Devuan project, but
> wouldn't it be better to create a "systemv.debian.org", a sub version
> of debian, like the "backports.debian.org"? If Devuan is part of the
> Debian project, we will have much more influence on what's going on.
> Maybe it's better to build an extension to Debian than to build our
> own infrastructure.
>
> I fear many people won't agree with me, but I think it's better to
> cooperate with Debian than to fight Debian. Debian has a nice
> infrastructure. If we will be able to build a Debian extension and not
> a Debian fork, I think we can all win. On one side we will be able to
> use Debian's infrastructure and have influence on what's going on
> there, on the other side Debian will have a nice and fully supported
> non-systemd version.

..I totally agree it would be nice. Then again there's that
zeal on both sides, and that KenThompsonsque opacity on the
systemd side (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?TheKenThompsonHack ),
e.g. I don't understand why the systemd coups were neccessary,
if systemd is any good, it should win on its technological
merits and on its performance, and not on its banana republic
politics.

..so either way, I guess we should try provide a viable
non-systemd back-up infrastructure.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: