:: Re: [DNG] xserver-xorg-core in Debi…
Author: richard lucassen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] xserver-xorg-core in Debian unstable now requires libsystemd0
On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 17:54:22 +0000
Rainer Weikusat <rainerweikusat@???> wrote:

> >> The issue is that many people in devuan are so allergic to systemd
> >> that they will not tolerate a library with that string in its name.
> >
> > Ah, I didn't know that. Thnx :)
>
> Considering that I wrote that in reply to you and also in reply to the
> other person who asserted "Don't worry. We just have you best interest
> in mind!" why was there any uncertainty of the technical purpose of
> libsystemd?

Now you're suggesting that libsystemd is all CSS. Any programmer can
have a look at the sources to see if Tobias is right or not.

But anyway, I will not say that you're wrong, I just don't know. But I
think that all sorts of conspiracy theories will not help us any
further.

I'm very pleased to see that someone is building a libsystemdfree xorg.
But what about security updates? And what about future versions? Who is
going to do that? What about the robustness of Devuan? Don't get me
wrong, I really like the Devuan project, but wouldn't it be better to
create a "systemv.debian.org", a sub version of debian, like the
"backports.debian.org"? If Devuan is part of the Debian project, we
will have much more influence on what's going on. Maybe it's better to
build an extension to Debian than to build our own infrastructure.

I fear many people won't agree with me, but I think it's better to
cooperate with Debian than to fight Debian. Debian has a nice
infrastructure. If we will be able to build a Debian extension and not
a Debian fork, I think we can all win. On one side we will be able to
use Debian's infrastructure and have influence on what's going on
there, on the other side Debian will have a nice and fully supported
non-systemd version.

R.

--
richard lucassen