:: Re: [DNG] Our friendly community
Author: John Hughes
To: Mitt Green, Rainer Weikusat, John Hughes
CC: Dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Our friendly community
On 18/12/15 16:51, Mitt Green wrote:
>> is nothing but "systemd support code added to some
>> package".
> If it is so, why there is so much hype about it?

Hype about what? libsystemd0? The only "hype" about libsystemd0 was
from LKCL who came up with a strange plan to remove it by replacing
libsystemd0 by a library that would dynamically load libsystemd0,
probably called lib-not-quite-libsystemd0.

> I previously thought that Devuan aim was to remove
> *any* of systemd components.

Funny, I thought Devuan was about choice.

> As far as I see libsystemd0 is only a shared library.
> Why should it provide features that I don't use?
> It's like buying a pick-up lorry to drive it in an urban area.

libsystemd0 is a trailer hitch -- it's up to you if you want to hook up
the trailer.

> Then why pushing it everywhere where it is unnecessary?
> Let then people decide whether to use it or not.

If libsystemd0 is not present people don't get a free choice -- they
can't use some systemd features.

> The same thing applies to libpulse and libselinux.

Just like libsystemd0 they do nothing if pulseaudio or selinux are not
installed.