:: Re: [DNG] Our friendly community
Author: Mitt Green
To: KatolaZ
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] Our friendly community

KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

>Just a simple question: how are the BSD folks dealing with those>dependencies in the ports? I beliebe there will never be a running
>libsystemd0 under FreeBSD, for instance. It might be a good idea to
>"re-port" the ports back into devuan, if you see what I mean...

The problem is Debian'ish. Package libsystemd0 exists here only,
others have to install full systemd. Or do they have to?

Package maintainers made all these dependencies; you can easily
(well, not really) compile GNOME3 if you use sort of "no-systemd" flags,
I believe they have this option.

And also building packages on BSDs is much easier;
for example in NetBSD's pkgsrc package there is a small makefile containing URL
of the source code and some other small files like licence, pkgsrc deps
and devs contact information.

Dbus and related packages naturally don't depend on systemd.
As well as previously mentioned GNOME3, they have systemd support
on Linux systems but no more which basically means that configure
will check for it but will not require.

Regards,

Mitt