:: Re: [DNG] Experiencing with GtkBuil…
Author: Roger Leigh
To: KatolaZ
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Experiencing with GtkBuilder
On 26/11/2015 20:02, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 07:14:35PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

>> That's correct. You can put the build directory anywhere you like.
>> But, you do need to chdir to the build directory before running
>> "cmake /path/to/source", just as you do when running
>> "/path/to/configure" with autoconf. You can of course run "cmake
>> .", and have the source and build directories be the same, but then
>> there's no separation and you end up writing the cache file to the
>> source tree (which can cause problems for any future out-of-source
>> builds since it will be reused).
>>

> I am pretty sure I have compiled stuff with cmake, with separate build
> and source directories, and without the need to manually chdir
> anywhere. I remember it was possible to set a cmake variable for this
> purpose (was it anything like EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH?!?!?), but I
> might be wrong on this. Maybe I am too accustomed with autotools :)

It's possible there's some variable which has the same effect, but I'm
not aware of it myself (and I can't find it in the docs).

Stuff like EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH is to set where executables are placed
inside the build tree e.g. /bin instead of the default (the directory
defining the target).

The default behaviour of both these is identical to autoconf+automake!

Regards,
Roger