:: Re: [DNG] Experiencing with GtkBuil…
Author: Roger Leigh
To: KatolaZ
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Experiencing with GtkBuilder
On 26/11/2015 17:16, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 05:04:41PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
>>
>> Not really, it's directly analogous to VPATH builds with make (and
>> configuring from a separate build dir with the autotools). It lets
>> you cleanly separate source and build (and have multiple build
>> trees). It also makes cleaning the build tree nothing more than
>> removing the build tree.
>>
>> (I use this feature of cmake all the time--source in a git tree on
>> an NFS-exported filesystem, with build trees on several different
>> systems so I can build and test on multiple platforms at once.)
>>

> Sorry but I don't understand. Are you suggesting that the only way to
> separate build and source with cmake is to ask the user to manually
> create the "build" directory, chdir into it and launch "cmake ../"? In
> other words, that cmake does not allow to do otherwise?

That's correct. You can put the build directory anywhere you like.
But, you do need to chdir to the build directory before running "cmake
/path/to/source", just as you do when running "/path/to/configure" with
autoconf. You can of course run "cmake .", and have the source and
build directories be the same, but then there's no separation and you
end up writing the cache file to the source tree (which can cause
problems for any future out-of-source builds since it will be reused).

Regards,
Roger