:: Re: [DNG] Interesting read from RMS
Author: Teodoro Santoni
To: Emiliano Marini
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Interesting read from RMS
> Interesting article from Richard Stallman.
>
> https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/applying-free-sw-criteria.html
>
> It starts with:
>
> *"For a software package to be free, all the code in it must be free. But
> not only the code. Since documentation files including manuals, README,
> change log, and so on are essential technical parts of a software package,
> they must be free as well."*
>
> And concludes with:
>
> *"As new situations arise, the GNU Project and the Free Software Foundation
> will adapt our freedom criteria so as to lead computer users towards
> freedom, in practice and in principle."*
>
> Maybe RSM has some concern about Red Hat, systemd and the new idea of
> "freedom of code vs. freedom of developers"?

Except for self-explanatory bits, purpose-driven documentation
(explaining just the functions which compose the api for users,
omitting the whole api in order to coerce the lazy user into using the
program only, shaping in fact an opensource program into an
half-closed, half-open program for anyone who doesn't wish to read the
code) in software is a practice spotted everywhere in FLOSS world.
Sometimes is just the result of users' laziness (not contributing to
projects) and devs' laziness. Sometimes is agenda.

I'm sure that doesn't mean that GNU will deprecate texinfo, though