:: Re: [DNG] Quick start guide to upra…
Author: Sam
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Quick start guide to uprading to Devuan and configuring minimalism
On 07/11/15 20:53, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 07/11/2015 11:02, dev1fanboy@??? a écrit :
>> All that info is right as far as I can tell.
>>
>> gcc versions from /proc/version are labelled as debian for me too.
>>

>     The kernel remembers who has compiled it, when, and where. If you
> compile it yourself you'll be pleased to see your username in
> /proc/version. You can also add some tag to the kernel version It is
> also possible to add some tag to the version of gcc if you compile it
> yourself, and it will appear when you invoke 'gcc --version'.

>     As long as Devuan keeps Debian packages for kernel and gcc, you're
> going to see that they have been compiled by Debian devs. And Devuan,
> for the moment only modifies packages which need to, in order to get rid
> of systemd dependency. This does not involve gcc, and not yet the kernel.

>     Didier

Thanks Didier, for the advice and especially for setting me straight on
this matter. I should have realised this before I raised it as a quirk
or an issue; I've compiled many, many custom kernels, so I should have
been well-aware of the process and the tweaks that are possible - and
having played with that one in particular when customising and compiling
kernels off-platform for the particular idiosyncrasies of the eventual
host systems, I should have been more attentive to this.

Thanks especially for dignifying my input into the discussion with your
response.

Sam