:: Re: [DNG] Detailed technical treati…
Author: Roger Leigh
To: Neo Futur
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] Detailed technical treatise of systemd
On 16/10/2015 23:09, Neo Futur wrote:
>> A couple days back, I was playing with Trinity on a PCLinuxOS live CD.
>> Starting the applications **from the CD** was faster than doing the same
>> from a KDE4 desktop *from an SSD*. At the time, I recall GNOME2 and KDE3
>> being slower than their earlier incarnations, but the sheer bloat and
>> inefficiency of the current forms of all these desktops is incredible. In
>> Trinity, I was shocked that I could click on System->Konsole and get a
>> terminal... not in a second or two, or even half a second, but right there
>> and then.
> confirmed ! and theres another important point usability and
> intuitivity, I very often install linux to new users who never used
> linux before, everytime i installed them a kde4, they were completely
> lost at first, then tried to customize it their way and broke it all,
> then I put kde3/trinity and they re happy and never need me again ;)

I'd go as far as to say that KDE3 was for me the pinnacle of desktop
usability. It was clean, discoverable, configurable, and was a coherent
and consistent interface from the window manager to the file manager and
all the applications. It was very professionally done, a real credit to
all the developers who worked on it, and an absolute pleasure to use.
It's quite sad that it's all been downhill from this point on, not just
for KDE but for all of its contemporary peers.

I switched to KDE4 with Debian, but it felt subjectively far slower, and
I never got the point of activities, hated akonadi, and while the UI
looked nice it never felt quite as right as KDE3, which fit like a
glove. The current stuff is almost unusable.

Regards,
Roger