:: Re: [DNG] Detailed technical treati…
Author: Roger Leigh
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Detailed technical treatise of systemd
On 16/10/2015 20:39, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
> Neo Futur <dng@???> writes:
>>> I pretty much stopped reading after the following line in the
>>> composition:
>>> ======================================================
>>> Fourthly, I will only be dealing with systemd the service manager (of
>>> which the init is an intracomponent subset, and also contains several
>>> other internal subsystems and characteristics which will prove of
>>> paramount importance to the analysis), and to a lesser extent journald.
>>> ======================================================
>> Same here, if systemd was just an init system, i d probably still
>> avoid it and fight it, but the main problem is that its much more than
>> that, eating everything around it (
>> http://neofutur.net/local/cache-vignettes/L200xH133/arton19-b28db.gif
>> ), and that is the main problem, for sure.
>
> In case you like a nice piece of irony: Both GNOME and KDE perform like
> shit. According to the opinion of both the GNOME and the KDE developers,
> the reason for this must be somewhere in all the code they didn't
> write. Hence, it has to be replaced. Especially considering that it's
> all "But that's not how Microsoft does it!" stuff --- and you can't get
> more fishy than that, can you?

The performance of GNOME3, KDE4 and Unity are all terrible. Too much
shiny bling and too little care for *real* usability.

A couple days back, I was playing with Trinity on a PCLinuxOS live CD.
Starting the applications **from the CD** was faster than doing the same
from a KDE4 desktop *from an SSD*. At the time, I recall GNOME2 and
KDE3 being slower than their earlier incarnations, but the sheer bloat
and inefficiency of the current forms of all these desktops is
incredible. In Trinity, I was shocked that I could click on
System->Konsole and get a terminal... not in a second or two, or even
half a second, but right there and then. That's how bad the current
desktops are. I shouldn't have been surprised at being reminded how
snappy a user interface could be--it should be a standard expectation.
I'm not even using low-end hardware; it's an 8-core 4GHz CPU with 16GB
RAM and a 4GB GPU! Using a current KDE system, I found the amount of
sliding-fading-semi-tranparent bling really got in the way of using the
thing. When every hovering popup on the taskbar slides in from random
directions as you moved the mouse around, I found this massively
distracting, and that's only the start of it. The other major flaw is
the use of animations and transitions; they typically only start after
you initiate an action, leading you to wait until they complete to avoid
getting confused as to what will happen; previously such actions were
immediate. The most jarring example I can think of is the alt-tab
switching animation where you have to wait while there's visible
movement of the selection, but the modern kickoff menu is also victim to
this, and it's seen in many other places. These little details all make
the system less efficient and less predictable--they make you second
guess what action will take since you're unsure of what will happen due
to waiting on the animations/transitions to catch up with your input.

Roger