:: [DNG] He who forgets history...
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] He who forgets history...
Hi all,

I just looked back on the Halloween Documents, specifically
http://www.catb.org/esr/halloween/halloween1.html . Here are two quotes
I find both interesting and timely:

* Linux can win as long as services / protocols are commodities.

* OSS projects have been able to gain a foothold in many server
applications because of the wide utility of highly commoditized,
simple protocols. By extending these protocols and developing new
protocols, we can deny OSS projects entry into the market.

So next time one of the new breed calls you a neckbeard for helping
build a distro with simple protocols and services, show him
http://www.catb.org/esr/halloween/halloween1.html . And try not to
laugh when the whole thing goes right over his head.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21