:: Re: [DNG] A better default windows …
Author: Isaac Dunham
To: Steve Litt
CC: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] nlmon (was: A better default windows manager)
Subject: Re: [DNG] A better default windows manager
On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 11:18:58PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> You can roll your own automount with one day's work using inotify-wait,
> dmesg, sudo, lsblk, and the mount command. Works without X or window
> manager. Heck, I'll do it myself if more than 20 people want it.

Or you can do it with mount, sudo, sh, and nlmon (http://git.r-36.net/nlmon).

Here's a demo of how to do it:

./nlmon -f block | { \
  while read LINE
    do
      case "x$LINE" in
        (xACTION=*|xDEVNAME=*) eval $LINE
    ;;
    (x) if [ "x$DEVNAME" != "x" ]
          then
        echo "automount $DEVNAME $ACTION"
          fi
              unset ACTION DEVNAME
        ;;
      esac
    done
  }

Only instead of echo automount ..., you would use your mount helper
(pmount, sudo mount, ...)

nlmon reqires only libc-dev, linux-libc-dev, and a working make and
compiler.
I will note, however, that you currently need to make one small change
in nlmon.c before compiling it:
change "write(0," to "write(1,".

This example can be run from a user session; if one prefers, the automounter
could be replaced with a popup or anything else.

HTH,
Isaac Dunham