:: Re: [DNG] Will there be a MirDevuan…
Author: Thorsten Glaser
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Will there be a MirDevuan "WTF"?
<miro.rovis <at> croatiafidelis.hr> writes:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 11:06:29AM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> > What does the Mir" prefix contribute the the meaning?
> > What does "WTF" mean in thei context. I mean what the fuck?

The “Mir” præfix means it comes from me / The MirOS Project.
“WTF” has OpenBSD-historic connotations.

> At first, one of the DD, Wookey, made:
>
> systemd-must-die

[…]
> So... The systemd-must-die was not allowed in the repository because of
> the name.

This is not exactly right. I made the package, Wookey uploaded it¹ and
suggested to have two of them (as the systemd-must-die one prevented
also the use of the shim), we talked and ended up having three levels
of prevention, which were also rejected by ftpmasters with a neutral
name because “such a hate package will never be accepted as long as
[that person] am an ftpmaster”. Since then, the collection grew, as
others contributed as well. And it has been useful to many.

> maybe one of the ways might be forking the MirDebian WTF to MirDevuan

I’d be extremely unpleased if you used the Mir præfix there.

Jaromil <jaromil <at> dyne.org> writes:

> I did not know Mir's story, neither analysed packages. Are they in a git

repo? that would

No. I dislike git. They used to be in CVS mostly, but that turned out to
be unnecessary overhead, so all you get currently is the most recent
version of the packages as proper Debian source and binary packages,
suitable for all Debian derivates as-is (possibly after a binNMU, but
almost all packages share the same binaries across versions, taking
e.g. the sarge- or etch-built binaries and using them on later ones,
they’re that compatible0.

bye,
//mirabilos