:: Re: [Dng] [dng] vdev status update
Author: Jude Nelson
To: Anto
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [Dng] [dng] vdev status update
Hi Anto,

Thanks a lot for all your efforts on this.

My pleasure :)

> It looks like we are getting closer now, or at least to be able to compile
> vdev as a deb package. And it seems the only package that needs to be
> re-compile is initramfs. Do you think it is reasonable now to start
> packaging vdev?

There are still a few things to be done before I'd recommend using it
regularly (i.e. outside of a VM):
* finish the remaining device scripts (in particular, scripts for setting
up LVM).
* integrate vdev, mdev, udev, static /dev, and other device management
strategies into Devuan's alternatives system.
* fork Debian's initramfs-tools to use the alternatives system to figure
out which device manager's files (if any) to include in the initramfs.
* finish designing, writing and testing libudev-compat with applications
that depend on libudev0 or libudev1 (this one's pretty open-ended still).

> or did anybody try it already?

I'm using it as the device manager in my copy of the alpha Vagrant image,
and others have tested it locally (but not for booting, AFAIK). I'm
working on getting it to boot the the qcow2 image, which boots from LVM.

Thanks,
-Jude