:: Re: [Dng] What about pulseaudio, av…
Author: Isaac Dunham
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] What about pulseaudio, avahi, ... ?
On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 10:06:13PM +0200, Patrick Erdmann wrote:
> In my experience pulse should be optional. It works. Not good but it
> does what its made for (after years of development). But avahi is
> unstable... Does not work for me. I often had this problem: Network was
> not reachable, because of avahi.

I've never had that experience myself.
I've had a (DHCP-connected) network printer that I had to specify the IP
for manually when I removed avahi (yes, that's a dangerous thing to do;
but we had all of 192.168.*.* and maybe six network devices connected to
a WRT54G router, so there wasn't a collision).

On the other hand, I've also had avahi cause a kernel panic, apparently
triggered by a printer. That was with Ubuntu "Lucid", right around
release (it could have been before release, since I tested that one).

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham