:: Re: [Dng] VNC starts to be subsumed…
Author: T.J. Duchene
To: Tom Collins
CC: Dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] VNC starts to be subsumed by systemd
On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 18:11:56 +0100
"Tom Collins" <tomcollins224@???> wrote:

> http://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=15/03/02/1037248
> " VLC Media Player Gains Support For Logging To Systemd's Journal"
>
> Honestly, I am starting to suspect that userland will need to be
> entirely forked to stay away from systemd. It seems every developer
> these days is infected with a mind virus: from the phoning home that
> todays linux software does (be it the browsers or things like VNC)

No offense,but frankly, I think that's a bit of a "knee jerk" reaction.

Just because some piece of software has support for systemd does not
mean that you have to use it, any more than support for JACK requires
that you therefore MUST use only JACK.

So systemd is a PITA, and we can agree on that.

On the other hand, unless VLC is going to abandon every other
platform, including Windows, then optional systemd logs are nothing to
worry about.

Just compile VLC without systemd.

t.j.