:: Re: [Dng] About Devuan's audience
Author: Peter Olson
To: dng, Gravis
Subject: Re: [Dng] About Devuan's audience
> On February 16, 2015 at 10:55 AM Gravis <ring3k@???> wrote:

> You dont have to be a server admin to be concerned about security. I'm a
> desktop user/developer and while customization is nice, security is
> paramount.
>
> Revelations about the NSA has really made me reconsider system security for
> my box and linux in general. Obviously, systemd has a fundamental design
> flaw: it has no design because it's completely ad hoc! I'm certain that if
> not already, sometime in the future a remotely exploitable bug will be
> found and will have the terrifying potential of being able to control any
> networked machine that is running it.

Perhaps computer scientists should read spy novels. The best security seems to
rely on compartmentalization. No individual cell (service, feature) depends on
how the others work except at the direct interface, so the system itself resists
damage and systematic attack.

Well, don't read too much literally into this except to note that we all know
that systemd subverts this. It's not just the Unix way, it's the reliability
way.

Peter Olson