:: Re: [Dng] About Devuan's audience
Author: Didier Kryn
To: Gravis, dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [Dng] About Devuan's audience

        Gravis,

        Should we understand it's based on POSIX permissions and not on
    ad hoc daemon? I'll keep breezing, but a little faster :-)

        Didier

Le 16/02/2015 16:55, Gravis a écrit :

You dont have to be a server admin to be concerned
        about security.  I'm a desktop user/developer and while
        customization is nice, security is paramount.

Revelations about the NSA has really made me reconsider
          system security for my box and linux in general.  Obviously,
          systemd has a fundamental design flaw: it has no design
          because it's completely ad hoc!  I'm certain that if not
          already, sometime in the future a remotely exploitable bug
          will be found and will have the terrifying potential of being
          able to control any networked machine that is running it.  So
          for the sake of the future, I'm working on a seamless security
          paradigm that will minimize the capabilities programs to
          minimize the damage in the event that they turn hostile.
          Don't hold your breath though, I'm still designing it.
          UNIX/POSIX has impressively robust security mechanisms, we
          just have to apply them properly.

- Gravis

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 8:44 AM,
                Didier Kryn
<kryn@???> wrote:

                    Hi folks.

                      Considering Devuan is a major lifeboat of free
                  Linux-based OS, I'm anxious about its destiny and
                  therefore trying to figure out who is onboard, I mean
                  the audience.

                      1) It is clear, by reading this list that part of
                  us are mostly concerned with servers.

                      It is perfectly arguable that people involved in
                  servers' deployment do not want to dedicate time to
                  tweaking a Linux-based desktop.

                      Macintosh is definitely for these guys, first of
                  all because its VM works like a breeze. Forget
                  dual-boot: it's a waste of time. Nate told us the
                  other day that a majority of Debian developpers follow
                  the Mac way; the more I think of it the more sense it
                  makes to me, although it is not my way.

                      Gnome and KDE are aiming to produce a free
                  equivalent of the Mac. OK, they're dropping freedom in
                  the way, but they will produce at least desktops you
                  don't have to pay for. They may eventually pull the
                  carpet under the feet of Apple some day ... or not.

                      2) I also read that there are people who want to
                  truely own their desktop. Some call them
                  sentimentalists, but they are the people from and for
                  wich free software arised.

                      To summarize, I see two populations in the
                  audience of Devuan, with slightly different
                  motivations (I find myself in both):

                          1) Servers' admins, who have professionnal
                  concerns about security and productivity and don't
                  necessary care of the desktop,

                          2) DIY (and FIY ;-) ) addicts who want whole
                  control on their desktop.

                      This all comes from reading you guys during the
                  past month, including Mr "FUCK FUCK FUCK" :-). But
                  maybe I missed some people.

                      Didier