:: Re: [Dng] recommendation for consid…
Author: Luke Leighton
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] recommendation for consideration: keep as close to debian as possible
hellekin <hellekin <at> dyne.org> writes:

> The version you wrote, that I reported as Issue #8, wants to tell a
> different story than what has been told so far. The project description
> clearly states that:
>
> + *removing mandatory dependencies on systemd* is the primary goal
> + in order to reach that goal *Devuan will pin some packages on top of
> Debian repositories*
> + once that goal is reached, and users have a choice, then Devuan will
> consider other changes.

ok, well... how about this: if there are other changes to be considered,
how about doing them - again - as a separate additional repository?
(preferably an independent one i.e. independent of using the devuan-systemd
one). so that anyone coming to devuan could go "hmm, i really want to
keep debian with systemd because i like it"

*but*, if you were to hard-code the additional changes to require
devuan systemd-removed packages, they might very well go " hmm, i really
want to use these extra non-systemd-related packages that devuan did,
but sadly i cannot do so because my machines require systemd."

what you *don't* want to happen is to fall into exactly the same trap
of forcing people into all-or-nothing decisions. we've had enough of
that, and it would be respectful to them to give them a proper choice,
and to show other distros (including debian) that respecting people's
right to choose is something that attracts users.

sorry i had to cut everything else, this is starting to take up
significant amounts of my time.

l.