:: Re: [Dng] recommendation for consid…
Author: KatolaZ
To: Luke Leighton
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] recommendation for consideration: keep as close to debian as possible
On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:01:36PM +0000, Luke Leighton wrote:

[cut]

> what you *don't* want to happen is to fall into exactly the same trap
> of forcing people into all-or-nothing decisions. we've had enough of
> that, and it would be respectful to them to give them a proper choice,
> and to show other distros (including debian) that respecting people's
> right to choose is something that attracts users.

I see your point, but you will agree that it will be almost impossible
to keep two versions of the same (group of) packages (one with and one
without systemd support), and also useless, since the version "with
systemd" will be altready shipped by Debian....

I am sorry but I don't understand the necessity to be "100%
compatible" with Debian at all costs. Again, this will probably be
almost natural for the first release, since Devuan developers are
focusing on making the fewest necessary changes, but I am convinced
that it will soon become unpractical if not impossible, at least if
alternatives to udev and dbus will be included in Devuan and other
packages will depend on them. IMHO, it's always a bad habit to use
packges from different distros, especially in production environments,
and mixing Debian and Devuan is not an exception (as it is not mixing
Ubuntu with Debian...)

It will be hard for all of us to leave Debian, believe me, but again
revolutions are not cheap...

HND

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]