:: Re: [Dng] recommendation for consid…
Author: KatolaZ
To: Luke Leighton
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] recommendation for consideration: keep as close to debian as possible
On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:31:39PM +0000, Luke Leighton wrote:

> > Again, this will probably be
> > almost natural for the first release, since Devuan developers are
> > focusing on making the fewest necessary changes, but I am convinced
> > that it will soon become unpractical if not impossible, at least if
> > alternatives to udev and dbus will be included in Devuan and other
> > packages will depend on them.
>
> ah, that's where i have confidence that you, as a team, will be very
> very clever, think this through and come up with something that achieves
> exactly and precisely that :)

Unfortunately I'm not actively involved in the development of Devuan
:) I am just wandering around in this ML...

> and i think, also, if you do a full and careful audit, you'll find that
> there are only a few strategic packages that you need to cut off at
> the knees, and beyond that subset of packages the impact will be
> zero.

I know that you are partially right, right now. I hope that this will
be true in two years as well, but I suspect this will not be the
case...

> also, i'm going to have a word with the systemd team. i'm going to
> advocate to them that they make libsystemd0 be a dynamically-loaded
> runtime library, and to provide demonstrations (starting with
> pulseaudio) where applications check at *runtime* if libsystemd0 is
> available, rather than hard-code the functionality directly in.
>
> if they don't listen, i'll do it myself. argh. :)

Good luck then :) They have not listened an entire community telling
them that all this crap was not necessary, and they have nevertheless
managd to push it in 95% of the distributions in less than two years,
under the motto "either you understand that what I propose is *right*
or you are just a moron"....

HND

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]