:: Re: [Dng] Towards systemd-free pack…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] Towards systemd-free packages
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 10:30:32 +0000
Jaromil <jaromil@???> wrote:

> hi Jack, Isaac,
>
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2015, Jack L. Frost wrote:
> > That's because by default X tries to hotplug input devices with
> > evdev. And evdev requires libudev. There is a evdev fork that
> > works with libsysdev tho:
> > https://github.com/idunham/xf86-input-evdev
>
> I'm curious to read Nextime's opinions on this, however to me it looks
> like we are going to keep libudev and systemd's udev around for a
> while in order to minimize the changes in Devuan 1.0.

Nothing wrong with that. The perfect is the enemy of the good, and
a distro initting by something other than systemd is a good thing.

> While I look forward to vdev's development, I think we should change
> as little as possible here, despite the fact we will keep some
> systemd code around for a little longer (but no systemd daemon
> running anyway).

I like the fact that you said "a little longer". It's not permanent,
it's just a process leading to complete depoetterization. And, of
course, systemd's udev will provide vdev with an excellent regression
testing target. And if things come out just right, we users will later
be able to pull out udev and install vdev with no more fuss than you'd
replace a lightbulb.

SteveT