:: Re: [Dng] recommendation for consid…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: Steve Litt, dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] recommendation for consideration: keep as close to debian as possible

Le 14/02/2015 17:08, Steve Litt a écrit :
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 08:12:38 +0000
> KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:
>
>> Before a few months ago I had never thought that I could ever been
>> forced to leave Debian after about 15 years of using and loving it. I
>> hope that eventually we will see a happy ending to this story, but I
>> don't have good feelings about that. I am concretely scared that the
>> whole Debian project might crumble, piece by piece, under the axe of
>> "progress" and "usability", and with it most of its derivatives and
>> companions.
>>
>> For me it's either having a (possibly Debian-like) functioning and
>> fuss-free GNU/Linux, which I can tinker with as like and I have done
>> so far, or going somewhere else, e.g. to FreeBSD.
>>
>> HND
>>
>> KatolaZ
> Quoted for truth!!!
>
> SteveT

     Same.

     I would not flame the Debian community as a whole, though.

         first because they have provided us up to now a wonderfull
piece of work, and they will continue, since Devuan starts in the form
of "Mostly Debian, but desinfected",

         second because many of them still do not realize the extent of
the crime. You start with a small crime and you are forced to another,
etc...

     One cannot judge everything by oneself; there are questions for
which you tend to trust people you consider having  a better educated
opinion. But after sometime you may change your mind. I had a personnal
opinion on init only because I had been following many discussions on
the subject on the Busybox mailing list and because I went trough the
work of writing my own init for embedded devices.

     At least part of the Debian maintainers, who didn't dare or mind to
follow the Devuan fork might well change their mind in the future and
I'm afraid Devuan needs them. I think it is important that these guys
feel welcome in Devuan and can find there a familiar development
infrastructure. And some of them might even be willing to contribute to
both lines of the fork.

     Let's reserve the flames to the borgs proper and their enraged
supporters. I must confess I enjoy the words "depoeterization" and
"desinfection" each time I read them on this list :-D

     Didier