:: Re: [Dng] John Goerzen asks, "Has m…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] John Goerzen asks, "Has modern Linux lost its way?"
On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 09:42:07AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 11:25:46 +0100
> Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:
>
> >      Same kind of dislike towards network-manager. This is the first
> > package I use to remove after installing Debian. The reason: I don't
> > know really what it does and how, but it goes in the middle of my
> > way. I am well off with ifplugd, wpa_supplicant and a roaming
> > configuration of wlan0.

> Didier,
>
> Please, please, PLEASE post instructions on how to do everything
> discussed in the preceding paragraph. I've had a lot of trouble
> replacing NetworkManager/Wicd with wpa_supplicant and iwlist, even
> though I know it's perfectly possible.

I did different. I use aptitude to uninstall NetworkManage and install
wicd instead. Works fine. All the configuration I have to do is to
use wicd's user interface to tell it which SSID's to connect to with
which passwords. SOmetimes I have to manually choose an SSID when it
has too mny to choose between itself.

-- hendrik