:: [Dng] recommendation for considerat…
Author: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
To: dng
Subject: [Dng] recommendation for consideration: keep as close to debian as possible
i just read http://lists.devuan.org/dwn/1423732562.11152_1.fork:2,S.html
and i note that there are considerable plans to move away from the way
that things are done in debian (use of jenkins instead of dbuild, and
so on).

first some background: it strikes me that the arrogance and betrayal
of the gnu/linux community through forcing systemd down people's
throats has sparked a beneficial side-effect, namely that people have
been galvanised into action: gentoo developers working on evdev,
libraries being developed that properly give end-users a choice and so
on. it is debatable as to whether such action - with associated
proper planning - would have been taken *unless* systemd was
arrogantly forced onto everyone. regardless, the situation now is
that everyone is on the clock to get a solution out the door. it
could be said that this is a good thing :)

now, it strikes me that at some point the thought will occur to a lot
of people, "hmm, that devuan stuff is good, is stable, and works
really well, and doesn't disrupt my debian system. i wonder if the
packages they created can be submitted to debian and maintained
there?"

if the answer to that is "not in a million years due to technical
incompatibility reason x, y and z" then i feel that devuan will have
lost a major opportunity.

so i just wanted to put that thought into people's minds to consider,
as i see quite a lot of potential "scope creep" in the past two weekly
summary debates that (fortunately!) has been sensibly debated and put
to bed, but it would be nice to have a debate about whether there
should be a clear unequivocable statement - directly and clearly
placed on the web site - about if devuan should be an *indefinite*
fork or whether it is planned (right from the start) to be *solely* a
temporary one.

the reason why i feel this is important is that then has an impact on
whether decisions such as including TDE (which, personally, i would
love to see happen!) would be a good idea or not, and, if so, how to
minimise package merge impact back into debian, should it ever occur.

l.