:: Re: [Dng] John Goerzen asks, "Has m…
Author: Nate Bargmann
To: T.J. Duchene
CC: Devuan project
Subject: Re: [Dng] John Goerzen asks, "Has modern Linux lost its way?"
To me the issue is independent of the source language used. A popular
object of criticism is polkit. For fun I took a look at the polkit man
page on this Sid machine and while I have a general idea of what it
does, it's overkill for my single user machine. While it's likely that
it solves some enterprise problem, it never solved any problem I had and
until the dependency chain in Xfce was updated late last summer, caused
me a number of problems. I fail to see why this needs to be a necessary
component installed by default.

For my purposes the classic Unix permissions system is good enough. I
would be quite satisfied if these components were completely optional.
This is what I regard as the needless complexity of modern Linux.

- Nate