:: Re: [Dng] Some downgrades may be ne…
Author: Isaac Dunham
To: Godefridus Daalmans
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] Some downgrades may be needed e.g. cups Re: Towards systemd-free packages
On Tue, Feb 03, 2015 at 04:14:10PM +0100, Godefridus Daalmans wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jude Nelson posted an enormous rdepends list, of what packages would need to
> be changed for Devuan Jessie,but from my own experimentation I concluded
> that it wasn't so bad if we are willing to give up on a few other things:
>
> - Give up on GNOME for the moment
>
> - Accept that a few key packages may have to be kept somewhere *between*
> Wheezy and Jessie for the moment, for example cups
>

> Unfortunately I didn't accurately write down what I did myself.. so correct
> me if I talk nonsense!
>
> but IIRC, I figured out that:
>
> - if I accepted an older version of CUPS (1.5.3-5+deb7u4 from Wheezy before
> the dependency on libsystemd-daemon0) it would work, and also
>
> - there was some version of libudev0 or libudev1 (208-6??) which caused much
> less hair-tearing than later versions.

Yes, I held that package.
I think it's the only reason that xorg* depends on systemd.

> From comparison of https://packages.debian.org/stable/admin/cups and
> https://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/cups :
>
> Jessie cups = version 1.7.5-10 currently but I downgraded it to
> 1.5.3-5+deb7u4, the Wheezy version.
>
> The new cups depends on cups-daemon which depends on libsystemd0 (did they
> combine libsystemd-daemon0 with the other ones into libsystemd0 or
> something?)

All the libsystemd-* packages got merged, because they'd multiplied
beyond being manageable.

cups can be rebuilt without much patching, I think-alpine has cups
2.x working nicely, and systemd does't even build here.

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham