:: [Dng] Some downgrades may be needed…
Author: Godefridus Daalmans
To: dng
Subject: [Dng] Some downgrades may be needed e.g. cups Re: Towards systemd-free packages
Hi,

Jude Nelson posted an enormous rdepends list, of what packages would
need to be changed for Devuan Jessie,but from my own experimentation I
concluded that it wasn't so bad if we are willing to give up on a few
other things:

- Give up on GNOME for the moment

- Accept that a few key packages may have to be kept somewhere *between*
Wheezy and Jessie for the moment, for example cups

Unfortunately I didn't accurately write down what I did myself.. so
correct me if I talk nonsense!

but IIRC, I figured out that:

- if I accepted an older version of CUPS (1.5.3-5+deb7u4 from Wheezy
before the dependency on libsystemd-daemon0) it would work, and also

- there was some version of libudev0 or libudev1 (208-6??) which caused
much less hair-tearing than later versions.

From comparison of https://packages.debian.org/stable/admin/cups and
https://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/cups :

Jessie cups = version 1.7.5-10 currently but I downgraded it to
1.5.3-5+deb7u4, the Wheezy version.

The new cups depends on cups-daemon which depends on libsystemd0 (did
they combine libsystemd-daemon0 with the other ones into libsystemd0 or
something?)

Furthermore I think I downgraded libcolord, which was easy for me
personally because I didn't know what it did or why it was installed
anyway ;-)
YMMV especially if you're a graphics designer, I suppose.

Maybe we can make a Wiki page with these kind of middle-ware packages??
That would be something that many of us can participate in.